Biscotti is a twice-baked cookie that is riding on the wave of gourmet coffee house popularity. This is a wonderful recipe because it does not contain added fats. The only fat comes from the egg yolks and the almonds. The almonds are not only delicious but make the cookies hearty and great for a snack that is very satisfying, whether its with a cup o? java or an ice cold glass of milk.
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ? cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ? tsp. salt
- Place almonds in a shallow pan and bake in preheated 350? oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool then coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl beat eggs, vanilla and orange rind with a wire whisk. Add nuts and stir until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and mix until blended, about 1 minute. Dough will be dry.
- Grease and flour a baking sheet. Divide dough into two logs and press out to about ? inch thick, 3" x 8" long. Bake in the middle of a preheated 300? oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer from the baking sheet to a rack. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board. With a serated knife, slice the log diagonally into individual cookies at a 45? angle. Each cookie should be about ?" thick.
- Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return to a 275? oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until toasted, turning them over once to dry the other side.
- Store in a tightly covered container.