his is a wonderful one-pot meal, since it contains a serving each of protein and whole grains and two servings of vegetables. Serve it with a vegetable-based premade soup and you've got a quick and easy weeknight dinner. You can use either Lacinato or curly kale, or a combination of the two.
- 2 tablespoons Napa Valley organic olive oil, divided
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 8 organic garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds organic Lacinato or curly kale, center ribs removed, torn into pieces, washed but not dried
- 2 Gelson's Finest Lemon & Garlic cooked chicken breasts (in the hot case, about 1 1/2 pounds as purchased), skin removed, meat diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup hot water, divided
- 1 1/3 cup (4 ounces) Rao's homemade whole-wheat penne rigate pasta
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown, about ten minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add remaining tablespoon olive oil and kale; work the greens in with the onion and oil. Toss until kale begins to wilt, about three minutes. Mix in the chicken, salt, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup hot water. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; cook about ten minutes until kale is tender, adding remaining 1/2 cup of hot water after five minutes and stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Reserve 1/2-cup of the cooking water before you drain it. Add pasta, reserved cooking water and lemon juice to kale and chicken and toss. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with cheese on the side.
Each 2 1/2-cup serving contains: