rtichokes contain phytonutrients similar to those found in
Statin drugs, which can help lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol and raise HDL ("good") cholesterol. Make sure you use the biggest pot
you've got to steam the artichokes, and keep the water below the steamer basket bottom. This dipping sauce offers a zesty,
heart-healthy alternative to melted butter and mayonnaise.
- 4 artichokes, carefully washed, thorny tips and stems trimmed with a large, heavy knife
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 medium to large tomato (preferably organic)
- 1 small Melissa's organic garlic clove, quartered
- 1 small Melissa's organic shallot, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil leaves
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Monari Federzoni balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Le Saunier de Camargue fleur de sel sea salt
- 1/4 cup Napa Valley organic olive oil
Bring about one inch of water to a boil in an extra-large pot with a lid and a steamer basket inside. When water is boiling, carefully arrange artichokes, stem end up, in the steamer. Squeeze the juice of the entire lemon over the artichokes. Cut each lemon half in half again and place the quarters in any spaces between the artichokes. Cover and cook for 30 minutes for medium artichokes, and 45 minutes for large artichokes. They should test tender when pierced in the stem end with a fork. Remove artichokes to large plates and spread open the petals.
While artichokes are cooking, fill a small saucepan with enough water to cover the tomato. Remove tomato and bring water to a boil. Cut a shallow, small x in the bottom or the tomato. Drop it into the boiling water for about 30-60 seconds, until you see the skin crack. Remove it with a slotted spoon, slip the skin off, cut into quarters and remove the seeds.
In a small food processor, purée the tomato. Add the garlic, shallot, basil, mint, vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Blend. While the blade is running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Serve sauce with artichokes.
Each artichoke with 1/4-cup vinaigrette contains: